RE: alt tags no with a twist

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:21:49 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Chuck is correct - use of tooltips for alt text is a good thing. Even
when the images are displayed, it can be helpful to have the ALT text
available. The most common example is for icons used throughout a site.
Since icons mean different things to different people, it is often
helpful to those of us with a T3 graphics setup to be able to view the
information as words - it reinforces the meaning of the graphic, or
explains it clearly. It is also the case that Opera is the only browser I
know that allows resizing of the display - small images may be sometimes
fine and sometimes difficult for people with low vision or partial/full
colour blindness to understand.

Charles McCathieNevile