Re: other country laws Portugal

Dear Robert Neff

In Portugal, we still in "Stone Age" concerning accessibility. Only in the
last year, Portuguese Govern made legislation about Rules of accessibility
to Public buildings.

Nevertheless, these year, Portuguese Govern are preparing an initiative
called "The Citizens with Special Needs in the Information Society", with
the goal of promoting the accessibility to the Information and
telecommunication technologies and services.

I don't believe that legislation about Internet will be a milestone, because
there is a weak social pressure concerning this issue. How many Portuguese
Subscribers has WAI ?

Nevertheless, I already made several suggestion to the commission (Mission
for the Information Society)  that is preparing this initiative, concerning
Web, software and telecommunications accessibility issues and the importance
of introduce Universal Design education, in the curricula of computer
science, electronic and telecommunication engineering courses. I am waiting
feedback.

Concerning disabilities laws, I am compiling a Portuguese Directory of
Disability related web sities called "The Lighthouse of  Disability,
Handicap and Equal Opportunities" http://www.terravista.pt/meco/1728.

You can translate to Portuguese with Altavista service
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate

The information are organized in Lighthouses, to allow easily to access
groups of contents: Lighthouse of the Computers, Lighthouse of the
Communication, Lighthouse of the Economy, Lighthouse of the Design and the
Accessibility, Lighthouse of the School, Lighthouse of the Lusofonia,
Lighthouse of the Law, etc.

The URL of the Lighthouse of the Law is
http://www.terravista.pt/meco/1728/flei.html

Concerning Information Technology,  Assistive Technology, European and US
databases, Web accessibility, software accessibility, Telecommunication and
kiosks, Information Society, I am compiling resources in  the site called
"The Bug of Accessibility" http://www.terravista.pt/meco/1734/bug.html. In
this site you can find more than 250 english links. There are special
sections for Trace Center, Microsoft and IBM.

Best regards

Francisco Godinho
Personal Homepage: http://www.terravista.pt/meco/1734

Portugal