Lotus Notes/Domino and accessability by the blind

From: Rich Caloggero <rich@accessexpressed.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:00:31 -0400
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "'webwatch-l@teleport.com'" <webwatch-l@teleport.com>
Our company, Very Special Arts Massachusetts,  is developing a website,
www.accessexpressed.net,  which provides disability accessibility information
related to various cultural organizations (theaters, museums, and other
venues). The site, as currently implemented, uses a Lotus Domino server and a
Notes database. The interface uses the standard look and feel convensions of
Lotus Notes, and is cumbersome at best, down right inaccessible at worst to
blind users. My question is: is there a more accessible set of tools/interface
builders which may make the interface more usable by the blind? Do we need to
redesign completely using a different database? Can we build a better interface
on top of what already exists?
	While I understand the basics of html, client server architecture, etc I no
nothing of Notes and Domino and the ways in which it is or is not customizable.
I understand that these tools are quite popular for they provide a seemingly
flexable and consistant way of designing interfaces on top of a fairly
sophisticated database with minimal effort. It seems that one of the biggest
barriers to accessibility is the lack of accessability-related features
integrated into most popular web publishing environments. I think a good easy
to use powerful publishing environment whose designers are aware of
accessibility issues would be a big win for disabled people net-wide.

									Rich Caloggero
					Very Special Arts Massachusetts
					voice: (617) 350-7713
					e-mail: rich@accessexpressed.net or rjc@mit.edut