Re: Vector Graphics

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:17:04 +0900
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu> wrote:

> I just heard of vector graphics for the first time ever. Apparently a
> graphic format that could replace bitmaps, and also apparently being
> proposed as a specification to the W3C.
>
> Does anyone know more about these and particularly any positive/negative
> impact on accessibility?

I believe vector graphics will have positive impact on accessibility.
In raster graphics, texts in the graphics are expressed as bitmap
data, so we can't read the text unless we can see the rendered
graphics. But in vector graphics, texts could be expressed as TEXT.
There are so many graphics which include textual information, so we
might be able to extract some textual information from those vector
graphics.

W3C has just started Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Working Group, so
please see the following URL for more detail.

	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org