Re: Vector Graphics

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:06:51 +0200
To: Jamie Fox <jfox@fenix2.dol-esa.gov>
cc: "'Patrick Burke'" <burke@ucla.edu>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I would imagine that it would have zero impact.  Vector graphics are
> simply a different compression scenario / scheme.  The other option
> are rastered graphics that are basicly saved pixel by pixel.
> Bitmaps are raster based images.

Well, we can hope there is an impact, in the sense that it's a
symbolic representation of a graphics, so one could access the meaning
by knowing the language.

example, if I write (making up syntax as I type)

<group>
<circle id=c1 x=9 y=2 r=5>
<line origin=c1 angle=0>
<rectangle ...>
</group>

then a voice agent could read aloud that there is a diagram made of
several groups, that the first group is a circle attached to a
rectangle with a line, etc.

a near-sighted user can scale this graphic up withou losing the
definition too.

so it's better that a bitmap.

but I also heard people saying that if the circle is there to
represent a pie-chart about market share values and such, it's going
to be really hard to extract that semantics from the markup, an order
of magniture harder than a complex table...

what needs to be provided in this case is the souce data about the
market-share figures, in XML for instance, and the vector graphics is
just one presentation of it (which doesn't mean it falls into style
language land, but that's another story)