Re3: Accessible web site examples

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 06:53:33 -0700,
William Loughborough  <love26@gorge.net > wrote:

>Lloyd: "But blind people, for a variety of reasons, are using more
>browsers than Lynx nowadays."
>
>WL:: Is this just an impression or do you have some statistics?

It is not backed up by any statistics.  But if you look at the e-mail
lists of various screen reader manufacturers, Guispeak and Guitalk,
Webwatch-l, etc., note what is being discussed at consumer
conventions, and also consider how many blind people do not have shell
accounts, the other browsers are being used a lot.  This doesn't mean
that everyone is happy with the results.  But it does mean that people
can play audio files and painlessly download stuff, which were
difficult or impossible through a shell.  Now I realize that Lynx can
run on your own computer through PPP, and that's what I do, under DOS
and Win95.  But you have to jump through a lot of hoops to make this
work, and the windows browser/screen reader combination turns out to
be easier for most people in most places.  If XML and stylesheets
really take hold of the web, and new people don't come forward to do
Lynx programming, Lynx will become less and less useful over the next
2 to 3 years.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       lras@loc.gov    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) lras@sprynet.com http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/