Re: Section 508

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 19:34:14 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Re William's remark that section 508 should require that Web authoring
tools purchased for used by government agencies produce accessible output,
and Kynn's rejoinder that we can't expect a goverment agency to make that
sort of technical decision...

Actually, government agencies have access to CITA (Center for Information
Technology Accommodation, a consultative organization that helps agencies
accommodate employees with disabilities.  CITA was a pioneer in web
accessibilty--they had HTML guidelines years ago.   So the technical
expertise is there.  And there's applicable law.  The key is the policy
that implements the law and the vigor with which that policy is enforced.
I don't know what the current 508 policy situation is--there are likely
other folks on this list who know it better--but personally I'd support
getting maximum milage from it.

CITA's home page is http://www.itpolicy.gsa.gov/coca/

Their HTML guidelines are at http://www.itpolicy.gsa.gov/coca/wwwcode.htm

Len