QBullets (was: Accessible HTML slideshows)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 10:44:26 -0700
To: "Jules Graybill" <graybill@starbright.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 09:38 a.m. 07/02/98 -0700, Jules Graybill wrote:
>And, more directly applicable to the topic of the list, Matterform Media has
>also developed and promoted QBullets -- small graphical icons that represent
>the purpose of all of the links on a web page.  Used correctly, they allow a
>website visitor to distinguish links to, say, a graphic from links to an
>html page, a mailto link, etc. without having to (as is the traditional
>method) roll over the link and try to decipher the text in the status bar,
>or just try the link and see what happens.
>http://www.matterform.com/qbullets/
>An interesting approach, I think.

Aie, no ALT tags, and no bullet for d-links.

A somewhat interesting approach; I'd rather see this as something
done in-browser though rather than with a small set of icons which
aren't standardized.  (In other words, I want to be able to go to
Opera's preferences and select 'show link-content symbols', and
wow, they appear, with the same graphics on every page displayed
by my web browser.)

This could be accomplished by using both type= and rel= (valid
HTML 4.0, yay!) to indicate the type of link.  This has the
additional advantage of being more accessible than a graphical
solution -- if a browser will support it.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
Vice President, Marketing and Outreach, HTML Writers Guild