[Fwd: File: "JH-SPCH TXT"]

The usual context of the word "initiative" is typified by the phrase
"take the initiative" meaning to lead the way and I feel that we must be
more assertive in our efforts if we are to be taken seriously by both
our clients, which I take to be people who are currently "enjoying" less
than ideal access to the World Wide Web, and our audience which is those
connected either through personal authorship of or the provision of
tools for the purpose of placing content on the Web.

The attached speech was given by Judy Heumann at the Microsoft campus in
connection with the "Accessibility Summit" sponsored by MS recently.
The tone of it is what I have been trying to urge on our output: not
exactly a threat but a firm resolve to change how these things are done.
The famous "bottom line" invoked to excuse non-compliance with clear
regulations requiring accessible software must be shown to include the
certainty that people who deliberately avoid providing accessibility
will one day be sitting in the same chairs that the "leaders" of the
tobacco industry used when facing a congressional committee.

The various WAI working groups should always be operating from strength
that is not *just* morally and ethically sound, but also advising
vendors, many of whom are members of the Consortium, that the actions we
are recommending are actually requirements and what we are "negotiating"
is the "how" not the "if" of accessible software for accessing the Web.

At WWW6 I asked Chuck if the disability manager had to approve of
software before it was released he said that that not only was not
happening but likely would not.  This is changing at MicroSoft and will
be a prevalent procedure.

Therefore we must concentrate on: what comprises accessibility; how to
provide it; how to tell if it has been provided.  We are better off not
to enter into any discussion of why to provide it in any sense other
than what Ms. Heumann brings out in the attachment.  Her tone is not
that of a beggar seeking a handout but of a representative of an entire
nation explaining in remarkable detail, right down to keystrokes, what's
been wrong and suggestions on how to fix it.  I don't believe we should
show any less initiative than she does.
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE