Re: FW: US DOJ Ruling re Accessible Web Sites

From: <empower@smart.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:05:06 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
While I agree it is preferable to motivate web developers to voluntarily
"do the right thing," I think a multi-pronged strategy is needed in this
area as in others.  Reminding folks of legal obligations to build
accessible environments can provide another, sometimes pivotal reason
for doing so.

On 1998-03-19 jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU said:
   >On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Scott Luebking wrote:
   >> Hi,
   >> Can WAI establish a web site for legal information concerning
   >> web accessibility?  It be great to have a one-stop shopping
   >>center.  It would need to be broken down by country.
   >JW:: I understand that in the early stages of the WAI, a project of
   >this kind was attempted, but that reliable information was not
   >readily obtainable. I think there is definitely scope for such a
   >site. However, the primary task of the WAI educational effort
   >should be to persuade authors and software developers to adopt
   >universal design strategies out of a sense of justice and
   >responsibility, rather than to raise the threat of legal liability.
   >It is preferable to appeal to the high ethical standards and
   >integrity of web content providers and software developers than to
   >base one's argument on the provisions of antidiscrimination law.
   >Nevertheless, it may be useful to provide information concerning
   >the relevance of anti-discrimination laws in different countries to
   >the provision of web-based documents and services. The Human Rights
   >and Equal Opportunity Commission in Australia has already done so
   >by releasing a discussion paper, a reference to which is included
   >in the WAI page author guidelines.

Net-Tamer V 1.09.2  - Registered