Re: Outreach to Contract Web Authors

From: Kathleen Fagan-Raeihle <raeihle@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:56:44 -0500
To: mburks952@worldnet.att.net
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Creating an Association and listserve would be a BIG undertaking, so before
we go rolling off I think there are a couple of things to consider:

1) Is there an Association, or division of html/webauthors assn that covers
this area? (I don't want to reinvent the wheel) (research needed)

2) Is there a listserv (ditto research)

3) If not where would we put it.  (www3?  ilusa.com?)

4) Where to get the money for it (grant writer? [I have one, but more is

5) Who will maintain it (listserv)(webpage)

And do we want to put in the time necessary to make it a sucess?
I'm very interested and will start the research, and get back to you with
the results.

As to your comment on getting jobs if the company principals are disabled,
I haven't run into that yet, being a small company or individual is much
worse in my estimation.

At 05:20 PM 03/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I do retrofits and designs now and again.  But I agree with you, most
>companies don t want anyone else to do it.  If they do it at all.
>Accessibility seems to be a dirty word to many of these people.  I do not
>know of an association, or a listserv, perhaps we could start one?  I
>suggested to Chris that maybe some grants should be offered by some of the
>big boys to help train people in this area.  The other problem as I see it
>is that if you are large you will not want to give anyone who is disabled a
>shot at doing this kind of work.  Even though they may be the best ones to
>do it.  I think small organizations are the best to work for and the best to
>do business with.
>Let me know what you think
>Mike Burks
"Mike Burks" <mburks952@worldnet.att.net>