Re: One of those pesky questions

I'd second Scott's thought with an additional note. Browsing as we know it
today is changing rapidly, particularly in the area of display interfaces.
Kiosks, TV's, cell phones, cars, watches, consumer electronic products,
etc..etc... all are being equipped with web based, wireless display
interfaces. Sun, SpyGlass, Netscape, IBM, Adobe and a host of telco and
cable manufacturers already have made the investment. Without their
"buy-in", the WAI battle becomes much more difficult and, perhaps, somewhat
futile.

I am of the humble opinion that our "battle" would be much easier if more
emphasis was placed on education, awareness, and outreach (with a subtle,
but powerful PR strategy) geared at helping industry and, ultimately,
resulting in gaining their support.

After all the hard work that the Guidelines WG has put in over the past
several months, I haven't had any inkling that the W3C is gaining
membership support for the WAI. I really wonder what's going on in the
minds of those 200+ members. Since the release of the guidelines, are W3C
members eager to implement and "advertise" their support? Clearly IBM and
Microsoft have been there right from the start (thank goodness)...But I
really would like to see "new kids on the block", demonstrating similar
support and zeal.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent...and I am in no way trying to
dishearten the outstanding work already accomplished...but it comes right
back to what Scott indicated below -- development without participation =
zero integration.

- Mike