From: Chetz Colwell <C.G.Colwell@herts.ac.uk>
Subject: Feedback on use of ALT

Hello,
Leonard Kasday suggested that it would be a good idea to get feedback on
the use of ALT text from a wider cross section of blind users,
especially
those who do not participate in listservs.

I am in the process of setting up an evaluation of some aspects of the
WAI
Page Author Guidelines and Checklist.  I will be asking blind Web users
evaluate Web pages designed to the Guidelines.  The pages could include
variety of different presentations of various elements, such as
different
uses of ALT text.

If you have any ideas for other elements the test pages should include,
please let me know, either directly or via the list.  I will also be
checking the archives of this list for other 'hot' topics.

I am intending to recruit blind people to evaluate the pages from the
numerous email lists and have some contacts at the Royal National
Institute
for the Blind, but am not sure how to get in touch with other people who
are not on email or the web.  Any ideas?

I look forward to getting your comments and ideas.

Chetz

Chetz Colwell
Sensory Disabilities Research Unit
Department of Psychology
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
AL10 9AB
Tel: 01707 284630
e-mail: c.g.colwell@herts.ac.uk

Here's followup message

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Subject: Re: Feedback on use of ALT

[recap of previous message snipped out]

My impression from the AT&T test information posted is that many blind
users, like sighted users, view the Web as a visual medium, and hence
seek
ALT text to describe a page visually.  This is a problem that has to be
overcome if the Web is to become truly accessible.  At the same time, I
find it hard to imagine user testing that would not be clouded by this
misconception.  Perhaps what is needed is users who know nothing about
the
Web?

--
Liam Quinn