Math on the web

From: roger john steffen <rjsteffe@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:56:21 -0600 (CST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I would like to know how to present mathematical formulas
on web pages so they make sense when read by a screen reader.
Does anyone know of any tools that will generate this type of
verbal description of a formula given the formula written in a
simple syntax.

I would also like to know how to best present a formula in ascii
so that it makes sense to someone using a Braille display.

I am familiar with the MathML work - but it will no doubt be a year
or two before web browsers and screen readers do anything meaningful
with it.

Thanks,

Roger Steffen