RE: ACCESSKEY attribute

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I think it was David who gave the example of some invisible text used to
> describe accesskeys.

I understand that some indexing engines are disqualifying documents
that they detect as using "invisible" text, since it's a popularly
used trick for defrauding indexers.

> This seems another example where designing for accessibility is simply a
> case of designing well. The same accesskeys would be useful to sighted
> users.

This seems to me to risk throwing away one of the benefits of HTML
markup: one single content-based markup irrespective of the rendering
situation, that is intended to be rendered in, and accessed through a
user interface that is tailored to, many diverse viewing situations.

As a principle, I'd say the user interface is a matter for each
browser; having HTML authors specify the user interface with which
they are familiar can often be more confusing than leaving the reader
free to make use of the interface with which _they_ are familiar (or
should become familiar, if they are to use their browser well).

Naturally, exceptions have to be made in the case of beginner
tutorials etc., but then those have to be tailored to each viewing
situation if they are to work well.

> One of the nice features of the Opera browser is that it is easy
> to run from the keyboard.

Indeed.

> But the confusion between page keys and browser keys is likely to be a
> large problem. Add the fact that there are many Macintosh users out there
> and it gets potentially harder again.

I think that supports the principle of decoupling the two.

best regards