Re: ALT text survey

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:16:55 -0500 (EST)
To: colin@bespin.demon.co.uk (Colin F Reynolds)
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
to follow up on what Colin F Reynolds said:

> Why is it so difficult to reach a consensus on such a basic
> concept as ALTernative text for images?

In the post you will find at

 w3c-wai-wg@w3.org from April to June 1997: ALT revisited
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-wg/1997AprJun/0105.html

.. I argue that it is because the answer to what is plausible or
appropriate alternative text is context-sensitive.

Perhaps we can tighten up the statements in the document.  But
there is no universal "best" because of the variant circumstances
and limited options available to us.

Al Gilman