RE: Time is on our side

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:03:51 -0600
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:35 PM 2/6/98 -0800, Charles (Chuck) Oppermann wrote:
>While this is good, it's also a danger.  Because HTML/CSS doesn't allow for
>everything that advanced document tools need, a lot of "meta" data is thrown
>in.  In the form of meta-blocks and custom tags that can only be read by the
>applications themselves.

JRG: I think that Chuck makes a good point is that many compainies will use
the customization capabilities (loop holes) in the standards to try force
people to their companies products.  This will probably only get worse as
XML gains popularity.

>It's good that it'll advance HTML/CSS eventually.

JRG: If the semantic information is separated from the presentation
information it will probably be good.

My main point of the message was that HTML/CSS could be used for more
things than just WWW publishing.  This would increase its popularity, but
as chuck points out may not improve universal access.

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870