RE: internet access via a touch screen

From: Pawson, David <DPawson@rnib.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 08:35:53 -0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> 	> Does anyone have any thoughts on ways around the web access
> difficulties
> > which arise when using a touch screen (without a physical keyboard).
>

> LRK   outlined some approaches.

	How about if the mountain won't  come to ....

	the difficulty would appear to be in getting finger and hot link
together.
	If its hard to get the finger to a small area, how about sensing
the touch, then
	causing the nearest link to 'hot up', and present itself? The
touchscreen
	coordinates know where the finger is - use this to 'snap' the
nearest link to the
	users finger (touch object if not a finger). This could be
easily done visually or
	aurally - informing the user which link is now ready for
activation. If its the wrong one,
	lift off or move. If OK, hold for a period or some other ack
signal to say go.

	This could be done with a local Java app using a small message
area for messages or
	speech output even better. That way we operate with any hot
linked page, instead of
	asking authors to change the way they operate, one of TV's
themes.

	Just a thought.

	regards, DaveP