Re: m-dashes and acronyms

From: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 07:16:34 -0500 (EST)
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I don't think I'm having a problem.  Please provide an example of what you
think might cause a problem and let's deal with it.
I've learned fr instance that &#151; is a dash right?  or is it an m-.
m dash.
anyway, maybe we need a way to pass the word "acronym" to the screen
reader at least once for a strange one and it would be nice if there was
some wy to mark up those &#xxx; characters to produce the correct sounds.

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> This thread has been going a little while now. And a lot of it has
> presented acronyms and abbreviations with no mark-up. Perhaps an
> important question to ask is "How are those who use screen-readers,
> braille printers, etc, understanding the discussion so far?"
>
> As a sighted reader, it has not presented many problems to me. Is that
> the case for others?
>
> Charles McCathieNevile

Hands-On-Technolog(eye)s
touching the internet