RE: ABBR and ACRONYM

From: Matthew Lye <mlye@trentu.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 98 11:12:16 -0500
To: "David Poehlman" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On 1/30/1998 10:53 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

>Ram might not be a good example, but what we need have done is to have the
>acroneem passed as r a m.
>this would give a screenreader the opportunity to spell it out and avoide
>misconceptions as to what it is based on what it sounds like.

My thinking is that a person familiar with the context in which 'RAM' is
being used might find that really irritating.  But I gather that you are
thinking of a mark-up to browser to screen reader chain, rather than
direct parsing of the mark-up by a text-to-speech browser.  In that case
I almost agree with you, except that for people reading the acronym
visually, R space A space M would be less than optimal.  Thus, I would
suggest that the HTML 4.0 specification should instruct that browsers
support optional acronym spacing.