RE: ABBR and ACRONYM

Ram might not be a good example, but what we need have done is to have the
acroneem passed as r a m.
this would give a screenreader the opportunity to spell it out and avoide
misconceptions as to what it is based on what it sounds like.

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Matthew Lye wrote:

> On 1/30/1998 08:43 AM, Pawson, David wrote:
>
> >There are probably better examples in esoteric fields full of jargon.
> ><acronym>IT</acronym> is just such a field. Someone not
> >familiar with the field may not recognise <acronym>RAM</acronym>
> >as a computer term and interpret as a sheepish item.
>
> Apologies, but this strikes me as a really neat problem.  For many
> acronyms a simple check of the phonemics (?) can determine whether it
> should be parsed as a word or as 'letter-spelling'.  Other acronyms may
> require interpretation once or always:  'RAM', for instance, might be
> read as 'Random Access Memory' the first time [with a little client-level
> semantic sugaring:  "...Random Access Memory, known as RAM,...".  I
> assume the tag supports a reference to the full word?
>
> Matt.

Hands-On-Technolog(eye)s
touching the internet
voice: 1-(301) 949-7599