Re: ALT tools

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:38:26 +0100
To: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@rnib.org.uk>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> 3.	How to ensure aligned interpretation. Context provides the clue.
> Missing context could
> 	put a wrong light on the image description. [I drew a 'dog in a
> manger', you described a
> 	puppy]

Yes, context is important (Len Kasday already commented to me
privately about that) but it's also hard to achieve, as the page URL
itself is often too broad a reference (when the image is buried down
the bottom of a long page for instance).

> 4.	How to resource.
> 	A misguided volunteer using graffiti as the alt text is a real
> 'threat' to the service.

Yes, although I don't think this is likely to happen, one could
imagine a subscription with access passwd for describers, just
requiring a valid email.

Also possible is heuristic code that looks for dirty words (but
vandals are likely to just say "a dog" when a picture of "a car" is
shown...)

> 	Linguistically appropriate descriptions? The source associated
> text could be in any
> 	language, the description should be in the same one.

Good point, the language of the including page should be indicated,
but we also need to take for a given that english is the esperanto of
the 21st century :-)

> Hope I haven't sounded too negative

Not at all.
Thanks.