Re: ADA requirement? [was RE: Attitude Adjustment Plea]

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:52:07 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Apparently an effort was made during the early stages of the WAI to
catalogue all of the anti-discrimination laws, in different countries,
which might be interpreted as mandating web accessibility. I am not sure
what the results of that survey were. Anti-discrimination is not an area
of law which I have studied in any detail, but it is my general
understanding that, since Australia's federal Disability Discrimination
Act covers the provision of goods and services, it would prohibit
discrimination against people with disabilities in relation to the service
which is provided to the public by a web site. The details are discussed
in a paper released by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission,
the URL for which I have forgotten.

I have heard that there were plans afoot in the United Kingdom to enact
comparable legislation.