Ignoring graphics - RMIT

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:09:48 +1100 (EST)
To: Mike Burks <mburks952@worldnet.att.net>
cc: "Kasday, Leonard" <kasday@att.com>, Chris Hasser <chasser@immerse.com>, "'wai-interest-group-post'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
The stats were gathered from the log files. Students using lynx accounted
for (If I recall right) about 80% of those not retrieving the graphics.
On the other hand proxy servers accounted for a number of retrievals, and
it may be that they are in turn serving up pages without graphics. I
assume the rest were graphic browsers.

An interesting exercise I went through yesterday involved searching the
catalogue of the Bibliotheque Nationale de France - the French National
Library. They have a web-based system which is very poor for
accessibility, and doesn't work properly anyway. They also have an older,
telnet-style catalogue. Much easier to use, more efficient (It actually
works) but difficult to find. They are not the only library to suffer
from this problem.

While I know that good graphics can be important, what I deplore on the
web are meaningless or bad graphics. When I began working on the RMIT
website, the main links were a small graphic icon, accompanied by a
picture of a word. With no alt tagging. This is unfortunately not an
uncommon experience. The presentation of authoring packages to the public
relies heavily on their ability to provide visual control, at the expense
of good HTML code (let alone accessibility). This gives people more time
to spend on graphics, which should allow them to improve thier sites.
Unfortunately the model of web design with which they are being presented
does not lend itself to this.

Charles McCathieNevile