RE: Accessible Forms?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:32:53 +1000 (EST)
To: "Charles (Chuck) Oppermann" <chuckop@MICROSOFT.com>
cc: Kristine Bradow <kbradow@ece.eng.wayne.edu>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Chuck said
'Whoa, hang on a minute...'

So I'd better clarify...
VB (and Javascript and Java) are far from universally supported. This
provides an accessibility problem even before considering what is
actually done. Chuck is quite right - using HTML to write a form is not a
guarantee that it will be accessible, but it is a step towards being more
certain.

There are a whole raft of issues that need to be considered, but the
point was that by relying on scripts inside pages there will be a raft of
users locked out by the technology.

My comments were not meant to stand as a guide to what makes stuff
accessible, but were just a response to what immediately struck me as the
biggest accessiblity concern in the approach outlined. Detailed
explanations available on application - but I guess this disclaimer is a
bit late.

cheers

Charles