Re: Stretching the Analogy

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 21:59:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
to follow up on what Kynn Bartlett said:

> Ideally, all movies would come on laserdisc, with optional
> subtitles for several languages that can be turned on by the
> user, and alternate versions available dubbed into a similar
> variety of languages. :)  So the user can select whatever
> they want.

The W3C agrees with you.

I think that if you review the Proposed Recommendation for
SMIL you will find it supports that scenario well.

OBJECT in HTML 4 gives you an ordered fallback sequence but
SWITCH in SMIL 1 gives you a range of choices.  And a few
presentation-wide logicals which mean you don't have to walk
through all videos turning on captions, for example.

Al