RE: Seamless Accessibility (was Re: your mail)

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 17:06:17 -0400
To: "Waddell, Cynthia" <cynthia.waddell@ci.sj.ca.us>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:01 PM 22/05/98 -0700, Waddell, Cynthia wrote:
>Regarding  D-links-
>What about making them the same color of the background?  The screenreader
>will still see it.

LQ::  I don't want the screenreader to see it unless the user of the
screenreader explicitly asks for it.  D-links describe what images look
like and thus tell the non-visual user that she's viewing a visual page.
As an author, I want every user to think that the page is made specifically
for her, so I don't want the non-visual user to get distracting remnants of
anything visual.

The description linked to by a D-link is not important for communicating
the content of a page.  The content of the image is expressed by the ALT
attribute in the case of the IMG element and by the element content in the
case of OBJECT.

Liam Quinn