Re: Using HTML editors to produce clean code?

From: <Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 16:59:48 +0200
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
cc: w3c-wai-au@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> The practice authoring software has of rewriting code is a really
> annoying, and often destructivee thing. Since most authoring programs are
> still not as good as a person writing 'bare code', and most are miles
> away for accessibility/universal design issues, they ought to leave the
> code as it is, or ask before they take things out. I am not sure how to
> get this implemented, but I know that I have not recommended any product
> because of this - it takes about as long to teach somebody HTML as it
> does to explain to them how to use a program like FrontPage properly, and
> in the long run it means that they can take the rubbish pproduced by an
> authoring program and fix it.
> I am encourageed to hear good things said about HoTMetaLpro - I'll have a
> look at it as soon as I can - life would be easier if there was a product
> that could be recommended

Do you have a look at Amaya. It's free available on Windows and Unix platforms
and provides well formed documents.
In Amaya, you have also the "Alternate view" that displays a document without
CSS and images (it displays the Alt attribute instead), the "Table of Contents
view", the "Links view" and the "Structure view".