Re: Using HTML editors to produce clean code?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 12:35:31 +1000 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-au@w3.org
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
The practice authoring software has of rewriting code is a really
annoying, and often destructivee thing. Since most authoring programs are
still not as good as a person writing 'bare code', and most are miles
away for accessibility/universal design issues, they ought to leave the
code as it is, or ask before they take things out. I am not sure how to
get this implemented, but I know that I have not recommended any product
because of this - it takes about as long to teach somebody HTML as it
does to explain to them how to use a program like FrontPage properly, and
in the long run it means that they can take the rubbish pproduced by an
authoring program and fix it.

I am encourageed to hear good things said about HoTMetaLpro - I'll have a
look at it as soon as I can - life would be easier if there was a product
that could be recommended

Charles McCathieNevile