Re: Using htlm editors to produce clean code?

From: LBehrens <LBehrens@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:42:13 -0700
To: A.Flavell@physics.gla.ac.uk
CC: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> I'm not a subscriber to this list, but I found [a thread, the origin
> of which was a request for help in improving the output of an
> otherwise acceptable-to-the-originator WYSIWYG application] and felt
> impelled to comment. ... [much opinon snipped] ... much effort is
> being spent (I may say wasted)  on trying to bolt-on additional
> accessibility to these misconceived web documents, when, if the
> originals had been designed in accordance with the principles and
> practices of the original WWW concept, no repair would have been
> necessary ...

Most unbiased observers of the Web would probably agree that the
original WWW concept was that everyone (unskilled individuals included
if not in particular) have a venue and tools to publish globally
without being subjected to long periods of training.

The original poster has found a tool which (for his purposes) does
just that, but which lacks provision for a DOCTYPE declaration and
which also inserts a few other annoyances into the documents.

What is needed is not for everyone exposed even temporarily to the
internet to be goaded into becoming highly-skilled HTML authors;
rather we need to find temporary solutions for the problems inherent
in the present tools (which is exactly what the original poster

Does anyone out there know a way to force the Composer segment of
Netscape Communicator to include a DOCTYPE declaration, as a step
toward validation and accessibility, as requested by the original

Regards, Larry Behrens
 What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to
 find out, which is the exact opposite.  - Bertrand Russell