Re: Help me with Bobby??!

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:55:29 +1000 (EST)
To: Prof Norm Coombs <NRCGSH@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I think this is not a Bobby problem, but a problem with the browsers
which should be referred to 1. the UA group, and 2. The people from
Microsoft and other browser manufacturers on this list (I don't think
Netscape are at the moment :(, but Microsoft certainly are)

The problem is that in Communicator, and presumably other browsers, ALT
text ONLY shows up as a tool-tip - ie the browser assumes that people use
graphics out of habit. (bad assumption - Lawyers on $400/hour generally
don't want to wait for the images any more than blind users do, as I was
reminded last night)

There is not much else that can be done about this - it is _possible_ for
authors to solve some of the problems, but it seems a stupid way to
approach them, and many designers will (rightly in my opinion) blame the
browser producers for poor design and (wrongly in my opinion) refuse to
work on the problem themselves.

Charles McCathieNevile