RE: Style sheets for access

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 10:21:49 +1100 (EST)
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> At 02:09 PM 12/5/97 -0800, Charles (Chuck) Oppermann wrote:
> >How about recommending that browsers implement a "user always wins" switch?
The CSS standard does this. But it is a recommendation. Why not make it
part of the Cascade rules? The virtue of this is it is fairly easy to
make the change, and it would be retro-active for CSS1.

The problem of specificity is a little harder. It would be possible
simply to allow ANY user Style to override author styles, and ignore the
specificity rules. But they can be a useful tool. So it would be better
to include a mechanism which allows the user to set the specificity of
their style. For example, I may like to have my H2 style override any H2
subclass, but have a (differently styled) H2 subclass which will override
an H2 with an ID attribute. This preserves the ability to mark out
particular objects which the subclassing allows.

Charles McCathieNevile
Sunrise Research Laboratory
RMIT University