Re: webwatch-l What To Do About .gif Files

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:51:37 -0500 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: kford@teleport.com
to follow up on what Kelly Ford said:

> The Orange County Register, a newspaper out of Anaheim, California, has a
> feature they call the Smart Coupon Book.  You can find the service at
>
> http://www.ocregister.com/ads/coupons/
>
> and when you visit you will be able to search through a number of coupons
> offered.  The service seems to work quite nicely with the browser of your
> choice until it comes time to browse the actual coupons.  Each coupon is a
> .gif file that I'm assuming contains a graphical version of whatever the
> given company is offering.

[snip]

> Kelly Ford
> kford@teleport.com
> See my home page at http://www.teleport.com/~kford/index.html

ASG: If a coupon-clipping example were used as an illustration of
the new LONGDESC attribute, this would be a good explanation of
why the new attribute is needed and would get the
access-to-commerce issue before the web author community.

On a longer time horizon, this scenario is also a good one for
the Authoring Tool Guidelines team to consider.  These coupons
are worth very little money, and are normally produced with very
low-cost publishing setups.  The text defining the business offer
needs to be captured on the way into the image, not as the image
is reduced to a GIF.

-- Al Gilman