RE: Guidelines for email

From: Neal Ewers <ewers@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:44:56 -0600
To: George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>, "'IG - WAI Interest Group List'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Good points George, There is, however, one slight problem.  When you said in
your message,
"The person knows the inserted information is over, because you then bump
into the > again."
I had to change the punctuation level of my screen reader in order to hear
the greater than sign pronounced.  True, if I knew I was going to have to
look for that sign, I could possibly put up with hearing all the other
unwanted punctuation just to hear the greater than sign.  It might, however,
be preferable to some to choose a character which is spoken when the least
amount of punctuation is turned on in the greatest number of screen readers.
This is why, in an earlier post, I suggested an asterisk.  In the number of
screen readers I have used, this is one of a number of commonly pronounced
symbols in the condition stated above.  Of course, there are others that
could be chosen also.

At 10:22 AM 11/12/97 -0700, George Kerscher wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>Leonard had a question about replying to a message and then inserting
>information.
>
>We mean this to be very simple.
>
>1. a person replies to the message and this normally inserts a > sign to
>the left side of the message.
>
>2. Go to the top of the message and state that you want to insert comments
>and that you will use your initials before each comment. GWK: is what I
>normally use.
>
>3. Where you want to make a comment I put GWK: and then go on for as long
>as necessary. I don't put GWK: at the beginning of each line. The person
>knows the inserted information is over, because you then bump into the >
>again.
>
>I normally say, "in the above information" or "in the information that
>follows" This gives the person a clue that you are referring to what is
>above or below your comment.
>
>When I read such a message, I end up reading the  first part and then
>search for the initials followed by the colon. This saves a ton of time
>especially on long messages. I use this technique when people ask me to
>review large documents and proposals as well.
>

>Hope this is helpful.
>
>Best
>George
>
>Best
>George
>
>George Kerscher, Project Manager
>PM to the DAISY Consortium
>Recording For the Blind & Dyslexic
>Email: kerscher@montana.com
>Phone: 406/549-4687

Neal Ewers
Field Coordinator
Trace Research and Development Center
Waisman Center, room S153
1500 Highland Avenue
University of Wisconsin-Madison 53705
Phone: (608) 263-5485
FAX: (608) 262-8848
FTP, Gopher and WWW servers at: trace.wisc.edu
For a list of our listserve discussions send lists to:
listproc@trace.wisc.edu