RE: ALT-attribute usage (fwd)

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <po@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 15:11:18 -0600
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Perfect.  Just the feedback we needed.

Unless I hear otherwise the guidelines will recommend

1)  that any graphics used as bullets have the alt text  "Item"   With a
character to cause a pause after the word.

The two candidates are Comma and Semicolon.   Possibly with a space
afterward to keep the word from running into the next word.

Couple of questions to close this one off

 - Is there a consensus that there should be "item"?  (I thought I got one
but am not sure)
- Is comma the proper character for a pause.  It is longer but longer may
not be better.  And Semicolon looks better visually and more natural so it
might get included more.     Should we use Semicolon or comma?
- Is the space needed?  Can someone confirm?  Is it needed for comma?   Is
it needed for Semicolon?

Thanks much.

Gregg
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.