RE: ALT-attribute usage (fwd)

From: Chuck Letourneau <cpl@starlingweb.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 10:55:51 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Last week, Gregg wrote:
>4) Recommend use of Alt = "bullet, "  (comma and space important to provide
>	- gets us back to providing a short audible cue between items to separate
>them and identify them as being items in a list.
>	- works on all browsers today
>	- gives the audible equivalent of a visual bullet
>	- allows variation if there are different bullet images (in which case the
>meaning of the different bullets should be substituted.
>	- is annoying to hear if you already know for sure that it is a list item
>>From this listing it would appear that "bullet" would be the proper

Since "bullet" essentially means "item" (or new item, or next item), and
"item" does not denote any hierarchical value (as does a numbered list),
then the use of ALT="Item: " to describe the function of a bullet seems
appropriate to me.  "Item" avoids the pain mentioned by Len in a product
list, telling people to order that strange "bullet, train" which is really
"Item: train".  Also, doesn't the colon-space give a slightly better pause
than a comma-space?

Chuck Letourneau