RE: ALT-attribute usage (fwd)

Last week, Gregg wrote:

>4) Recommend use of Alt = "bullet, "  (comma and space important to provide
>pause)
>	- gets us back to providing a short audible cue between items to separate
>them and identify them as being items in a list.
>	- works on all browsers today
>	- gives the audible equivalent of a visual bullet
>	- allows variation if there are different bullet images (in which case the
>meaning of the different bullets should be substituted.
>	- is annoying to hear if you already know for sure that it is a list item
>
>>From this listing it would appear that "bullet" would be the proper
>approach.

Since "bullet" essentially means "item" (or new item, or next item), and
"item" does not denote any hierarchical value (as does a numbered list),
then the use of ALT="Item: " to describe the function of a bullet seems
appropriate to me.  "Item" avoids the pain mentioned by Len in a product
list, telling people to order that strange "bullet, train" which is really
"Item: train".  Also, doesn't the colon-space give a slightly better pause
than a comma-space?

Chuck Letourneau