--------------------------------------
Date: 10/29/97 8:02 AM
To: Geoff Freed
From: Mike Paciello
Regarding the educational aspect, I thought I might just interject with a
brief note of encouragement here. In the past 3 weeks I've conducted 4 Web
Accessibility workshops. One workshop was to a full house of AT&T, NCR and
Lucent employees. The response was terrific. Generally I expect 15-20
participants. We had close to 50, 20 of whom were deaf or hard of hearing.
It was great to focus on web accessibility issues for those other than the
blind and visually impaired.

On Monday I conducted a workshop at the FedWeb conference in Bethesda.
Orginally, only 8 people signed up. By the time the workshop started, I had
40 in attendance! Additionally, it's lead to at least 4 new workshops to
specific government organizations (all non-disability orgs).  Yesterday,
with the terrific participation of Jamal Mazrui, Chuck Letourneau and
Cynthia Waddell, we put on an accessibility panel with 75 or more folks in
attendance (again, we were expecting 25-30). The response was terrific.

The one ironic point in all of these workshops: NO ONE HAD HEARD OF THE WEB
ACCESSIBILITY INITIATIVE!

We really need to push this agenda folks. People are thirsty for help and
very willing to make the right adjustments.

Regards,

Mike

(Who is very, very tired...but happy!)

At 10:17 PM 10/26/97 +0100, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>> Hello all,
>>
>> This raises an interesting subject. What's the use of nice accesibility
features if we
>> don't use them (in this case because we never thought they existed)? How
could we prevent
>> this?
>
>Good question. That's why there is a WAI IPO and not just a WAI W3C
>working group adding features to HTML&CSS. We need to produce the
>guidelines that go with the technology, and educate people about what
>to do and how to do it.

Michael G. Paciello                      Executive Director,
E-Mail: mailto:paciello@yuri.org         Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation
Tel: +1 603 598 9544                     URL: http://www.yuri.org/
FAX: +1 603 598 2839                     Promoting Accessibility Awareness!

Please Make a Tax-Deductible Donation:   http://www.yuri.org/donate.html