Re: Changing the name for the table AXES attribute

From: Mike Paciello <paciello@yuri.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:12:52 -0400
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I'm with Dave on this one. I think it's also important in our proposals to
be sure that terminology proposed reflects standard syntax-like
descriptions. Remember, the majority of the people we are trying to "reach"
are *NOT* people with disabilities but rather the content
providers/publishers. So we need to produce proposals that reflect their
standard terminology. This is how we developed the ICADD standard.

I have reviewed most of the current proposals; For the most part things
look okay, though I would appreciate a comment from Dave or Dan as to
whether these proposals are in proper format. Code examples look good, but
definitive terminology looks a little weak.

Having said that, I also know I should be more involved. I'm getting there
folks; just a little more time and the YRIF should be in great shape so I
contribute to the technical specs.

Regards,

Mike

At 08:27 AM 10/23/97 -0400, Dave Raggett wrote:

>If we want to change the name from axes, I strongly
>recommend using a name that immediately reflects the allowed
>attribute values. As these are generally headers it follows
>that the name should be "headers". In my opinion, keep-with
>is just as obscure as axes and would confuse authors.
>
>I therefore propose we rename axes to "headers"
>
>Regards,
>
>-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
>phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)
>World Wide Web Consortium (on assignment from HP Labs)

Michael G. Paciello                      Executive Director,
E-Mail: mailto:paciello@yuri.org         Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation
Tel: +1 603 598 9544                     URL: http://www.yuri.org/
FAX: +1 603 598 2839                     Promoting Accessibility Awareness!

Please Make a Tax-Deductible Donation:   http://www.yuri.org/donate.html