Re: DESC and TABLE: descriptions for groups of elements

From: gregory j. rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 21:49:07 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Kasday, Leonard" <kasday@att.com>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
len speaks sooth when he writes:
> 	I think we may need more recommentations on assigning
> descriptions to groups of elements.

as i pointed out in my last post, in the absence of widespread
cell-to-cell browsing, in order for a TABLE to have any meaning
when rendered by a text-based browser and audiblized by screen
access software, it is essential that, as len suggests, that the TABLE
components:  TABLE, TH, TR and TD  be supplemented with ALT and LONGDESC
arguments...  this is particularly important if users are to be given a
de-tablization option via their browser of choice..

likewise, i would strongly re-emphasize len's call for both ALT and
LONGDESC arguments for DIV and for a GROUP tag...

gregory
   oedipus@hicom.net
   	        http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html
   						      gregory@afb.org