Re: ALT-attribute usage

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:21:52 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
to follow up on what jaap van lelieveld said:

> Make sure the ALT-attribut for HTML 4.0 and beyond will be used
> for an ALTernate description of an object both in old elements
> (like IMG) and new ones (like OBJECT).

I want to know what this means for the HTML specification.  In the
DTD we have comments as follows (clipped from most recent public

                 Objects, Images, and Applets in HTML documents (p4 of 48)
14.1 Including an image: the IMG element

<!-- To avoid problems with text-only UAs you need to provide
     a description with ALT, and avoid server-side image maps -->
<!ELEMENT IMG - O EMPTY            --  Embedded image -->
  %attrs;                          -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --
  src         %URL;      #REQUIRED -- URL of image to embed --
  alt         CDATA      #REQUIRED -- short description --
  longdesc    %URL;      #IMPLIED  -- link to long description --
  align       %IAlign;   #IMPLIED  -- vertical or horizontal alignment --

Is that what you want, or would it be better for the comments to say

"To avoid problems with non-visual UAs, provide a brief text
alternative for the image via ALT, and avoid server-side image

  alt         CDATA      #REQUIRED -- text alternative to image --

-- Al Gilman