Re: Re[2]: Ability taxonomy bh

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:35:27 +0200
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> For many of the problems associated with WWW access many of the problems
> can be solved and probably can only solved on the browser side.

I guess we're boiling down to saying that Source and User-agent side
are equally important. We plan to adress both in the WAI.

My personal take on that is that Source is the *enabling*
part while the user-agent work is the *delivering* part. Whatever that
means :-)

> I think a
> key area for the W3C is to develop browser guidelines and
> demonstrate/verify what types of browser based solutions work for people
> with disabilities.

It's on our agenda for the Boston meeting (Tuesday August 5th) which
is going to be focused on guidelines (all kind).

> For information on some of the features of a browser based on UD principles
> see the page at:
> http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund/access-browsers.html

Thanks for the pointer, I'll attach them to the agenda.
(I already knew your work Jon, and I hope you are going to be able to
participate in the WAI).

> Does the W3C have influence with major browser developers like Netscape or
> Microsoft over user interface design issues?

We hope to think so!
They are both members.