	From:  Al Gilman[SMTP:asgilman@access.digex.net]
	Sent:  Friday, November 07, 1997 4:41 PM
	To:  w3c-wai-hc@w3.org
	Subject:  Re: print page number /= current page number in Braille
paginatio              n.

	to follow up on what Hakon Lie said:

	> Pawson, David writes:
	>
	>  > 	Navigation yes - by page reference no (IMHO). Why make the
	>  > 	backwards step? The on-line navigational capabilities of
html
	>  > 	are far superior to page based systems.
	>
	> I support this view. Structural markup has more to offer than
rendered
	> documents.

	That's very true for documents which are first produced for
	online use and printed copies are a byproduct produced from
	the electronically-distributed text.  That is not the only
	important scenario in which Web media will be used.

	Consider an etext scenario, where material is primarily published
	in print but transcribed to online media for accessibility.  Here
	the print page number is a valuable point of reference because
	most people using the same text index it in that way.  This is
	true not only of books but also periodicals.

	Here, the printed version is not generated from the HTML and it's
	not the job of CSS to get the numbers into the HTML.  That is an
	authoring/transcribing tool job.  But in the etext scenario it is
	still desirable to be able to support this information.  I am not
	eager to ignore its value, if we can support it easily.

	-- Al