RE: CSS 2: inserting text and markup into HTML documents

Pawson, David writes:

 >  In the current propsal, you can use a
 > normal CSS selector to "mark" the elements which should serve as
 > headers:
 >
 >   H1        { running-head: chapter }
 >   P.caption { running-head: section }
 >
 > The marked elements can then be referred to from the header
 > definition:
 >
 >   @page :header {
 >     content: first(chapter), none, first(section);
 >   }
 >

 > For my two cents:
 >
 > Would suggest a reversal would make more sense.
 > Instead of saying
 > 'This element should go into the header' when I meet the element,
 >
 > How about
 > 'for the running header include ....' then specify what
 > is to go in?

Right. I agree that your proposal is more intuitive. However, it would
result in having selectors (or a similar contruct) on the right side.
E.g., one could imagine:

  @page :header {
    content: first(H1), decimal(pageno), first(H2);
    font-variant: small-caps}
  }

For simple selectors (as the type selector above) this looks fine, but
for more complex selecetor it starts to get messy:

  @page :header {
    content: first(BODY H1.chapter), decimal(pageno), first(H2[TITLE]);
    font-variant: small-caps}
  }

Or, perhaps it's not that bad? Certainly, this would rid us of the
"three-variable" limitation...

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium