Note on the Confidentiality of the W3C Member Web Space

This is just a message for those of you who have access to the member
site without being a member.

Forwarded Text ----
  To: w3c-policy-ig@w3.org, w3c-p3p-harmonization@w3.org
  From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
  Subject: Note on the Confidentiality of the W3C Member Web Space

  I expect this will be formalized further at a later date, but in a recent
meeting, the W3C staff realized that a significant number of member
participants and invited experts will have never seen the membership
agreement nor process document. Consequently, I'm sending this note on
confidentiality to the two groups I manage. I don't expect everyone to fire
up their browsers and read all the legaleze, however do review the following
section on confidentiality. The gist of it is that if you are a member, you
may redistribute access, emails, or documents to other staff members in your
org unless prohibited by the working group charter. If you are an invited
expert, you are a specific instance of participation and may not
redistribute access, emails, or documents to others. The default of my two
groups is that things are considered confidential to the member orgs and
experts participating, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

  The membership agreement is at:

  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Agreement/Affiliate.html

  and the following is from Process Document:

  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Group/Latest.html
  ___

  A portion of the Web site, known as the Member Web site, will be reserved
for access by authorized Consortium Members, Team, and other authorized
people only. At all times, Members have access to all information at this
site.

  All documents appearing on the Member Web site must be respected by those
authorized to consult the site as confidential within the Consortium.
Consortium Members or others must agree to use reasonable efforts to
maintain this confidentiality and not to release this information to the
general public or press. Documents that require particularly confidential
treatment must be marked as such.

  A suitable security mechanism, managed by the Team, will be used to screen
out unauthorized viewing and each AC representative will be instructed on
how to gain access. The AC representative may extend access to Members-only
information to those fellow employees considered by the representative to be
appropriate recipients. All recipients are expected to respect the intended
(limited) scope of Members-only information.

  _____

End Forwarded Text ----