Re: ALT-attribute usage (fwd)

to follow up on what Jon Gunderson said:

> At 03:11 PM 11/3/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >
> >1)  that any graphics used as bullets have the alt text  "Item"   With a
> >character to cause a pause after the word.
>
> I think "item" is needed.  Is there any way to get the item number in the
> specification.  Like item 1, item 2, item 3.
> This helps people keep track of where they are.

Are you in touch with anyone currently using Laura Eaves's
extended numbering functions in Lynx?

Numbering items in an UL is a bit like numbering sections in a
document which only has Hn tags in it.  The browser can get this
into the User Interface without the author putting it in the ALT.
Using ALT to achieve this has a less than rosy prognosis, in my
gut reaction.

This is also an application scenario of interest in the CSS2 review
context.  If we get numbering tooled up to the extent the Braille
users would like, I think one could write a style that will cause
OL entries to be numbered.

-- Al Gilman