WAI HC/HTML relationship [was: Minutes [was: Agenda for 971023 HTML WG meeting]]

Dan Connolly wrote:

> Dan Connolly wrote:
> Minutes of W3C HTML WG
> > WAI HC, IG accessibility review
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-wg/1997OctDec/0247.html
>
> ... some history of HTML WG/WAI WG

In preparing a respons to some of the feedback on the WAI
HC recommendations[1], it occurs to me that the relationship
between the WAI HC WG and the HTML WG hasn't been recorded
precisely. So, for the benefit of the folks that weren't
on the call, I record the relationship and some
of the history.

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/group/HC/report.html

Short version: The HTML 4.0 specification shall meet
	the requirements set forth by the
	WAI HTML4 & CSS2 Accessibility
	Review Working group.

Details:

Our charter states:

======
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/charter#other-forums

Web Accessability Initiative (WAI)
     The work of the W3C HTML WG should be coordinated with this
     project.
======

The charter has never been officially approved by the
advisory committee, but that
text was made available to the HTML WG (and to the entire
membership) via the web 10-Mar-97, per the minutes of the
Feb 97 WG meeting[2].

[2] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/9702/24-html-wg#charter

The relationship was further discussed at our may[3]
and august[4] meetings. While it's not clearly
minuted, I think it was agreed:

The WAI working groups establish requirements and
propose solutions. The HTML
working group reviews and refines the solutions,
but any changes to the requirements must be
re-negotiated with the WAI working groups.

[3] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/9705/20-ftf
[4] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/9708/ftf.html

On 17 Sep 1997, a charter and call for participation[5]
for the WAI HTML4 & CSS2 Accessibility Review Working group
was sent to the W3C Advisory Committee. It was repeated in the W3C
Newsletter[6].

[5] http://www.w3.org/WAI/group/HC/callhc.txt
[6] http://www.w3.org/Member/Newsletter/970919.html#WAI

Unfortunately, I neglected to review [5], which included:

"... the HTML & CSS Working Groups are putting the final
touches on the HTML 4.0 and CSS 2 specifications and hope to finalize
their recommendation at meetings on November 11-13. "

while our August meeting minutes[4] said
"target for end of october."

In his 6 Oct periodic report to the HTML coordination group[7],
Daniel noted that the WAI HC was working toward a 22 Oct
deadline for its HTML 4 recommendations in order for them
to be discussed at our Nov meeting.

[7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/1997OctDec/0004.html

I notified Daniel[8] and the conflict, and we agreed to try
to work the WAI input in between 22Oct and the 31 Oct
target[9].

[8] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/1997OctDec/0024.html
[9] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/1997OctDec/0044.html

Al Gilman then delivered the WAI HC report[1].

So at last Thursday's HTML WG teleconference, with Judy Brewer and
Al Gilman (and Dave Raggett) representing the WAI HC WG,
the two groups refined the general agreement about
requirements and solutions so that

	(1) the WAI HC report[1] represents the
	WAI requirements and proposed solutions,
	and any changes are to be confirmed by
	email from Judy brewer

	(2) the HTML 4 editors were instructed
	to incorporate the proposed solutions along with
	feedback provided from the HTML WG before
	the 31 Oct release.

	Any substantive changes to the proposed
	solutions are to be reviewd by the WAI HC (and
	confirmed by email from Judy Brewer) to be sure they stay
	within the WAI requirements.

That's where we stand right now.

The 31 Oct HTML 4 Proposed Recommendation milestone is very
much at risk. As I said in earlier mail, I think it should
slip at least a week. It's entirely possible that we'll use
the Austin Meeting as the WAI newsletter article[6]
described.

Stay tuned.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C HTML Working Group Chair
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/