Normally hidden blocks.

to follow up on what Dave Raggett said:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Al Gilman wrote:
>
> >                        I have to admit I have been wondering about
> > hiding more general resource definitions [normally hidden hypertext
> > blocks] in the HEAD.
>
> When browsers see text they assume the document BODY has started.
> As a result you can't hide text safely in the HEAD except as an
> attribute value, for instance in META.

The following recap of Dave's point could be stipulated as one of
Raman's constraints that we _do_ accept:

If a normally-hidden resource is desired which exceeds the capability
of a simple attribute,

	a) it will be buried in SGML comment wrapping c.f. SCRIPT
	OR b) it will be in another file.

Note 1: This has implications for what we would like to do with MAP
and OBJECT.  Just because OBJECT is unknown to legacy browsers
does not mean that they will hide its content.

Note 2: For the long term, we want to make sure that we are not
forced to put each such inline block in its own separate file.
It should be possible eventually to inline a slice of a remote
resource which is a well defined, proper subset of what you
physically GET when you exercise an URL.

What do people think?  Can we accept that as a constraint?

-- Al