Re: Initial approach to the reading order issue (fwd)

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 13:01:00 +1000 (AEST)
To: WAI HC Working Group <w3c-wai-hc@w3.org>
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> The question I see is what to do with non-labelled elements?  Would you
> not present them?  I think that is extreme.  Present all of the sequenced
> elements in the given order, then the non-sequenced elements in the order
> in which they appear in the document?

This is indeed a problem with the "sequence number" approach, and it is
one reason why I thought that, in general, a "tree transformation"
method would be preferable. It does not require each element to be
equipped with an ID value and can move entire classes of similar elements
by means of a single style property. Would the current HTML table
proposal, perhaps with the addition of an attribute to indicate the
"orientation" of the table, be sufficient, or is there a genuine need for
the ability to reorganise a table totally by means of ID values being
associated with each cell? I find it hard to envisage circumstances in
which such a complete reorganisation would be necessary, except where the
table markup is misused, and as mentioned earlier, such a practice should
not be tacitly endorsed by the WAI markup work.