Invisible D link Example

From: Markku T. Hakkinen <hakkinen@dev.prodworks.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:56:15 -0400
To: WAI HC Working Group <w3c-wai-hc@w3.org>
I wanted to throw into the discussion a quick implementation example of the
invisible D link graphic contrasted with a visible graphic and the current
text D.  Gregg and I discussed this a little off line, and I wanted to open
the example up for comments.

We have the requirement in the Digital Talking Book work to provide image
descriptions, which are implemented as in-line text after the image.  In
looking toward DTBs that serve a range of users such as LD and Dyslexic,
the in-line text description becomes less practical. In looking at the D
link text tag, it came across non-intuitive both visually and aurally.
 When the topic of the invisible D graphic came up, I decided to mock it up
using actual samples from one of our books.  After some interesting
reactions to the invisible graphic from sighted users, I added the third
option of a stylized, small D link graphic along the lines of what you find
on the CNN site for links to zoomed images or videos.

For your review, visit  http://www.prodworks.com/books/d-example.html and
try it with the browser of your choice under various conditions (graphics

Mark