RE: Invisible D link.

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 10:39:12 +1000 (AEST)
To: WAI HC Working Group <w3c-wai-hc@w3.org>
I realize that the original proposal was that the link should refer to a
small, practically invisible, image file. I had thought that it might be
possible to avoid specifying an actual image file by giving a null value
for SRC, but Daniel has kindly corrected me. A null SRC value is to be
taken as referring to the base URL.

At a more general level, perhaps the "invisible d-link" idea should be
regarded as complementing LONGDESC rather than as a substitute for it.
LONGDESC offers more control to the extent that the user agent can
determine how it is to be acted upon, whereas d-link, in any of its forms,
must be explicitly activated by the user as a link to the description or
textual alternative to the graphical resource.

There is an independent argument in support of including LONGDESC (or a
comparable attribute) in the FRAME element.